The Square Circuit

Academia, parenthood, living in a bankrupt city, and what I read in the process.

Monday, September 05, 2005

that grandma who says embarrassing things

EDITOR AND PUBLISHER has this entry from the "no, no matter what happens, they're not going to get it" file:

"Accompanying her husband, former President George H.W.Bush, on a tour of hurricane relief centers in Houston, Barbara Bush said today, referring to the poor who had lost everything back home and evacuated, "This is working very well for them."

The former First Lady's remarks were aired this evening on National Public Radio's "Marketplace" program.

In a segment at the top of the show on the surge of evacuees to the Texas city, Barbara Bush said: "Almost everyone I’ve talked to says we're going to move to Houston."

"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this--this (she chuckles slightly) is working very well for them." "

1 Comments:

  • At 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Haven't I already slapped her down with "Noose," my response to her "beautiful mind" comment? I stayed with people just like her in Baton Ew - my friend's brother and sister-in-law. And while I am very grateful for their hospitality, the sister-in-law actually told my other friend that she wasn't going to church that Sunday due to all the germ-ridden New Orleanian "refugees" that would be there - oh, you mean like US? Then again, we do have the advantage of not being "negros."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home