The Square Circuit

Academia, parenthood, living in a bankrupt city, and what I read in the process.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

staff development workshop

I hate meetings, and all-day meetings especially get under my skin. I hated them when I was adjuncting and making $1800/semester to commute an hour each way. But now that I'm on the other side, I see why they're necessary. I'm also beginning the understand the value of things like assessment and the WPA's outcomes statement, and why some kind of standardization and top-down control is necessary in a writing program. So I tried to design a program that would be useful to people who've been teaching a long time while being REALLY useful to the new teachers I've got.

I think it went well. The wife reminds me that I've got to evaluate, send out some kind of a questionnaire, and she's right. But just from the anecdotal evidence (unreliable, true, but I'd like to believe it), I think people of all ranks got something out of it. Now let's see how the semester goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home