The Square Circuit

Academia, parenthood, living in a bankrupt city, and what I read in the process.

Friday, July 29, 2005

quandary

I'm hitting a quandary here that's making me contront the very reasons I started this blog. I'd made a conscious decision to keep this thing almost entirely anonymous, telling only family that it was me. By doing so I was hoping to see how information spreads on the Web--who would read this, and how they got here.

I was featured for a time on Pittsburgh Bloggers, which led to quite a few page views, but those are way down since I've cycled out of the list of featured blogs. Now I'm thinking of "coming out" and letting my friends and acquaintances know that this is my blog, assuming that they'd have enough interest in me to check on this.

The goal? Increasing page views, of course. And why do I want to do that? Am I just giving in to consumerism--it's not worth anything unless people are paying attention to it?

Still haven't decided. Weigh in, if you care to.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There are a great deal of individuals who have chosen (for one reason or another) to remain anonymous as they blog. I know that this will even prevent some of them in attending the Blogfest on August 11th.

    Rob brings up some good questions... and you just need to make sure it would not jeopardize your employment.

    -Wojo from Grabass.org

     
  • At 10:58 AM, Blogger zoe p. said…

    I'm just a beginner here, but I'd stay anonymous:

    As I see it, teaching and writing already require one to edit their public persona, in the classroom, on the page, etc . . .

    If you'd like your blog to reflect this edited persona, sign it. If you'd like it to take you new places, perhaps not.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home