The Square Circuit

Academia, parenthood, living in a bankrupt city, and what I read in the process.

Sunday, January 28, 2007

decisions, decisions

Ever since he first said it, back when he was saying that Don Rumsfeld would keep his job until the Second Coming, I've been fascinated by Bush's statement

"I'm the decider, and I decide what is best."

And just last week:

"I'm the decision-maker."

There's so much there that's so telling about Bush's character. The petulant child, always overlooked in favor of his smarter and more responsible brothers, insisting on the validity of the position he earned (but not fully through his own merit or efforts); the wishfully thinking child; the man reduced to reminding everyone of the powers of his position because nobody takes him seriously anymore; the President stripped of whatever rhetorical powers as "everyday guy" he once had and reminding us that the flip side of "everyday guy" is "guy not equipped for positions of huge power and responsibility." I suspect there's a little message in there for Bar and Daddy, too.

But what keeps running through my subconscious, because it's just so obvious that it doesn't even need to reach my conscious mind, is this: the idea of Bill Clinton saying that, in response to criticism or questioning of his policies, is so absurd as to be laughable.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home