The Square Circuit

Academia, parenthood, living in a bankrupt city, and what I read in the process.

Friday, January 05, 2007

pittsburgh--healthy city?

My wife showed me last night that Cooking Light magazine ranked Pittsburgh #13 in its list of best cities for healthy eating and living. Although I was initially incredulous--our obesity and smoking rates have got to rival Detroit's, Houston's, or Cleveland's--as she explained the criteria to me it began to make a little more sense. We do have farmer's markets with good local produce; we've got a healthy Community-Supported Agriculture movement; our parks are great and the river trail system is really a jewel; and people really do walk downtown and in their neighborhoods. I still wouldn't rank us quite so highly, but I suppose #13 is within the realm of possibility. The top ten (Seattle is #1, Portland #2) list is here.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 3:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    update my site in your sidebar! banane.com (no longer banane_blog.blogspot.com) thanks.

     
  • At 11:29 PM, Blogger zoe p. said…

    Kind of a paradox.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home