The Square Circuit

Academia, parenthood, living in a bankrupt city, and what I read in the process.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

who says football players are dumb?


manning's
Originally uploaded by Mantooth.
It's the advertising executives for the NFL who are the dumb ones. Check out this cute NFL Store commercial starring the charming, suddenly ubiquitous Manning clan. It ends: "The Manning's are ready for the season."

I have a very hard time understanding why so many of my students--and for that matter, so many of the folks in charge of putting up advertising signs around town--have the idea that you make a noun plural by adding an apostrophe and an "s". (Many of them also omit the apostrophe in possessives, but that's for another post.) But come on. A huge, expensive, national television campaign, and not one of the hundreds of people who see this ad before it airs spots this third-grade punctuation error?

2 Comments:

  • At 1:41 PM, Blogger Burnt Notions said…

    Another one I love is people putting the period outside the quote, something I see everywhere, from elevator signs to snarky anonymous comments on my blog (see my Mos Def entry for that and other breaking news, i.e., I have a single-digit IQ - if I'm lucky!)

    And students in my adjunct days who did not spell check. Come on! how lazy can you be?

    Then there's the "towards" you always cited at the Writing Center.

    Sigh.
    -Editor

     
  • At 4:36 PM, Blogger mantooth said…

    preach on, sister.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home