The Square Circuit

Academia, parenthood, living in a bankrupt city, and what I read in the process.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Casey/Santorum/Remnick

I've got to call out my fellow Burgher zp at I Hate The New Yorker: why no comment on the Casey/Santorum article in the Nov. 14 issue? What'd you think? I know you prefer to focus on film, but I'm interested to hear your comments. And I've got to disagree with you about the Ashbery profile. Although I enjoyed it, I can't remember ever reading a profile of a poet that told me less about his poetry. I got the sense that MacFarquhar doesn't really understand Ashbery. No shame in that, of course. I sure don't. But for me he's like Jorie Graham: I don't know what the hell they're talking about, but it's nice to live in the disorientation for a while.

I just realized this week that I've now hit thirteen years of religiously reading the NEW YORKER. I can't tell whether that makes me depressingly old-fashioned, hopelessly middlebrow, or happily blessed with free time. It probably just means I've spent far too much time on buses, trains, airplanes, and Stairmasters over the last decade and a half.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:27 PM, Blogger zoe p. said…

    I've got some thoughts on the Casey-Santorum piece, nothing profound, but, since you mention it, I'll be posting them in the next day or two.

    On politics, like poetry, my store of knowledge is shallow and uneven, so I have lots of strong feelings, but few arguments I feel confident making.

    The really funny thing is this. Just a few days ago I was going to leave YOU a comment to the effect that if you wanted to, you could turn your blog into a Santorum-Watch. You've done such a good job keeping us posted. But, hopefully, that role doesn't have long-term prospects.

     
  • At 9:53 PM, Blogger mantooth said…

    Thanks for the kind words, but there's already one--www.santorumexposed.com. They do it better than I can.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home