The Square Circuit

Academia, parenthood, living in a bankrupt city, and what I read in the process.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

october in academia

I'm absolutely swamped at work, as is everyone else--there's something about October, like about February, that is just brutal for academics. I'm overburdened by committee work, of all things; it's the one aspect of academic life that has never really been a factor for me, but this year I'm on about twelve committees that are all trying to get something done. Teaching, usually the real drag on my time, is flying by this term because I've got two great groups that are involved, interested (for the most part), and well prepared. And the third leg of the triumverate? Research is going s-l-o-w-l-y, although I did manage this week to convince the archivists at the Ford Foundation to release some documents I've been bugging them about for months.

I'll be teaching an advanced writing class in the spring, and I'm musing having the class do a unit on interactive writing and blogging. Do I want to propagate this form?

1 Comments:

  • At 7:13 AM, Blogger Anne said…

    Yeah, October sucks.

    As for teaching blogging --

    well, you know damn well I think it's worth teaching as a form -- it's not going to disappear anyway; one might as well address it.

    And it offers LOTS of realtime opportunity for conceptualizing and then practicing with "audience."

    Oh, yeah.

    And tone.

    And knowing what the hell one is trying to talk about.

    I find it quite and very useful myself, in my own little way.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home