The Square Circuit

Academia, parenthood, living in a bankrupt city, and what I read in the process.

Thursday, January 29, 2009

research trips

The South isn't always as South as one might think. My wife was envious that I was coming down to Fayetteville, Arkansas, to research in the Fulbright archive at the U of A this week, and presumably to escape the 6 inches of snow predicted in Pittsburgh. But when I got here, the worst ice storm they've ever seen hit, and not only was the university entirely closed the whole time I've been here (making this trip a complete waste), the hotel I was in had no power: no heat, no light, no hot water, not even doors that could lock. (And they tried to charge full price for the rooms, which was especially galling.) Yesterday, because of a general power outage all over the city, only two places were open (a coffee shop and a Qdoba) and I'm so grateful to them for providing heat and food. Going home a day early today, because the university is closed through the week. Wasted trip, and I'll have to come back.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm so sorry, hon. This is the worst research trip story EVER! In the history of the WORLD!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home