The Square Circuit

Academia, parenthood, living in a bankrupt city, and what I read in the process.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

oh, bob

it's getting hard to maintain any kind of enthusiasm for Bob Casey in this Senate race. He's up comfortably, so I don't feel all that much urgency (and I'm not particularly concerned about Republican vote-stealing, given that Kerry managed to win Pennsylvania), but every time he opens his mouth I like him less. The first issue is, of course, the abortion one: I don't like voting for a right-to-lifer, and my wife (who still excoriates me for voting Nader--in Texas!!!--in 2000) says she won't vote for Casey because of this. I'm a little tired of abortion as a make-or-break issue, and so I'm willing, if reluctant, to vote Casey. But now, Casey is really getting distasteful.

First, it's the "who hates immigrants more" duel: both Santorum and Casey run ads claiming that they are MORE anti-immigrant than the other. Then, just the other day he came out explicitly in favor of the administration's illegal warrantless wiretapping program. Interviewed by lefty Philadelphia blogger MyDD, Casey refused to address this in specific terms, choosing instead to make some meaningless comment about how we need to protect the nation.

I'm still going to vote for him, but can someone tell me how he's going to be any different than Arlen Spector?

4 Comments:

  • At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Get off the one-issue bandwagon and into the real world. Electing Casey is critical to change the f---king direction of this country.

     
  • At 11:58 AM, Blogger mantooth said…

    actually, ANONYMOUS, if you read my post you'd see that 1) I'm clear that I reject the "one-issue bandwagon" (what you mean I don't know--do you mean abortion?), 3) I remark on not one but three issues that trouble me about Casey, and 2) I indicate here and on several other posts on this blog that I fully support Casey specifically because it is so crucial to get Santorum out.

    My point is that although I support him and will happily troop to the polls for him, I have no enthusiasm for him and, frankly, am not looking forward to having him represent me in Congress.

    read a little more carefully; you just look ignorant otherwise.

     
  • At 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I’m tired of settling. As a liberal democrat I have a few issues that I will not let slide and abortion is one of them. Far from being a “one-issue bandwagon,” abortion is my proxy for how an individual feels about women and their rights in this country. Oh, and did I mention I’M SICK AND TIRED OF SETTLING. Put up a liberal democrat.

     
  • At 1:06 PM, Blogger mantooth said…

    Headline on Todd Eliott Koger's web site:

    "Do you know a relative, friend or neighbor who recently experienced a utility shut-off? If so, than, Joe Preston must go!"

    I can't vote for someone who makes a punctuation AND a spelling error on the headline leading off his homepage.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home