The Square Circuit

Academia, parenthood, living in a bankrupt city, and what I read in the process.

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Barrister Jubril

Apparently the Hon. Barrister Jubril is my only reader. He writes:

"Well, I also believe that foetry.com intimated, at some point, that Jorie Graham was a big ol' ho. And what's with coming down on me like that in your post ('debacle? if you mean--)? Little condescending there, dontcha think?"

Oops, sorry there, solicitor. I didn't mean to be condescending; I hadn't heard of any debacle. I'm amused that Jorie is getting called a "big ol' ho." I've heard third-hand gossip to that effect, myself...

Counsel Jubril maintains a web site that, kinda like Ted Nancy's great LETTERS FROM A NUT books, archives his responses to various incarnations of the Nigerian email scam. It's funny. It does make me wonder--not his site, but that scam in general--what kind of a person would feel okay about taking cash from the accounts of some dead Idi Amin clone like Abacha, who bled his country dry and stole all of the international aid? In addition to gullible, wouldn't that make you greedy and a moral reprobate?

On the subject of moral reprobates and greedheads, my sister-in-law just adopted a 3 1/2 year old orphan from Thailand. The little girl's mother died of HIV and she's grown up in a Catholic orphanage with like children. The wife and the boy went out and spent about 10 days with them in L.A.; I was there this weekend. The girl is vivacious, healthy, independent, and well-adjusted, considering what her life has been. Something to be said for being raised by nuns. My sister-in-law seems to be doing a remarkable job, already.

I remember when the boy was born, the Lou Reed song "Beginning of a Great Adventure" kept going through my head. Now, I think it applies to my sister-in-law far more than to me.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello, didn't want you to think you only have one reader: there's me too! I started in June too, trying to get people to read mine! I've put you on my blog roll, I know at least one of my friends reads mine!!
    It's a good blog by the way, I'm enjoying it. x

     
  • At 7:31 PM, Blogger mantooth said…

    thanks, clare--appreciate that. North of England must be a tense place these days. Always wanted to visit; love the accent. Used to work with a woman from Leeds.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home